Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Monday Feb 2, 2009

Today at PNCA, I worked on my powerpoint training manual for the VHS conversion process. Dan is going to be assigning me a student worker who will work exclusively on the conversion project. This means that I need to be actually learning the conversion process myself (doing it), and that way I'll be able to train another person. My powerpoint manual will be a good resource that Dan can keep on hand in case there is a staff change in the future. I included screen shots and some reasoning as to why we are undertaking the project. I am trying to keep it as simple as possible, and have sent my rough draft over to Dan for him to proofread and advise me of changes that I might want to make. I think tomorrow I will try out a sample conversion, and try to determine how I want to add the chapter information (should I create a controlled vocab, etc). At this point, I don't think a controlled vocabulary is necessary for this project. But I'll know more once I've done a couple of run-throughs myself.

I also secured a laptop fron Dan that has the Alexandria cataloging system loaded on it. I should be able to begin the cataloging project this week. I meet with Rose on Wednesday (we didn't end up meeting last week). She wants an update on my progress for the project. I need to have something prepared to tell her. I think I need to ask her about the controlled vocabulary that I'm developing for the project. I'm thinking of including a subject "tag" for student work. I need to ask her if that would be helpful or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment