Monday, January 26, 2009

January 26, 2009

Today's time at PNCA was spent doing more research on the European Student Exhibition DVDs that I am working on cataloging. Since they are not currently cataloged in WorldCat, their information needs to be manually entered in our catalog. Sarah, who is training me on the Alexandria system (built for high school libraries)  is not here today, so I am still not sure how to enter them in. The interface is also built in a way that makes it possible to delete records with a keystroke. So I'm hesitant to get in there and "experiment" because I could really do some damage. 
    I had more email correspondence with Rose bond today. She is coming in on Wednesday to discuss the progress. I told her that there isn't much to speak of yet, but she insists on being an integral part of the project. I think this is a great lesson in dealing with faculty members, and I'm trying to make certain that all lines of communication are wide open and that we can discuss this process along the way. She'll become a better library user once we're through, and I'll become more experienced in being a faculty liasion.  
     So not a whole lot of actual work done today, but I'm really getting into the routine of being here. I also am having issues with getting a workspace to use while I'm here. I've been making myself known to the IT dept. and making sure that I get logins and access to the things that I need access to. So far it's slow going. My goals for this week are to finish Rose' cataloging project (Euro Student Exhibitions) and to research the copyright on the DVD transfer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment