Today I began cataloging a stack of Eurpoean student art exhibitions that Rose Bond brought back from her summer workshops last year. She is donating them to the library. Anyway, none of them are listed in WorldCat or LoC, and so I had to compile the information from each video, many of which were not in English. I had a training session with Sara, who is the staff member who actually does most of the cataloging. She showed me the template that she used when she catalogs items.
I'm beginning to understand that in this library, which I would call a "closed catalog", meaning that they don't share materials with other libraries. Because of this, the call number system just isn't as important as it is in other libraries. I'm getting used to the whole "laid back library" thing. And I've been fighting my instinct to overhaul the entire system. Anyway so far it's been a lesson on how to scale back, reassess, and create plans that are reasonable.
Monday, I start cataloging for real!
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment